Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Bigger Picture

It's hard when you have two weddings: the one you plan in your head and the one that actually happens. As you might expect, the one in your head will probably not happen when you get married young, like me. We thought we had it all figured out, but no; we were stuck in a daze dreaming of what we wanted, not what we could actually have.

Jonathan and I have come to terms with the fact that we're not going to be able to get everything we'd like. We're not even going to be getting half of what we'd like. We're struggling to find a place to live at a price we can afford, so here is a list of changes we decided to make to make surviving possible:

  • Cancel the more expensive apartment we wanted
  • Cancel the more expensive ring and go with one $200 cheaper
  • Cancel the photographer
  • Cancel the professional cake
  • Cancel any "real food" (just desserts)
  • Cancel cake made by a family friend for considerably less
  • Cancel reception
Making all of these changes is hard for me, especially since I already bought my perfect invitations and will now have to buy new ones that do not invite people to a reception we are not having. Luckily, I am not too terribly upset by any of this. Yes, I am a little disappointed that I planned so much stuff that is not going to happen. Yes, I am a little upset that it is going to be very different than how I always imagined it. However, if I look at the bigger picture, I know that I will be marrying the love of my life on October 26th, with or without the nicer ring or the pretty wedding cake or getting to have the first dance.

At the end of the day, it's not dancing or partying or having nicer jewelry that matters to me. I will be married to the love of my life, and that's what I care about. I will have over 50 years to tell him how much I love and appreciate him. I will be able to spend my entire life telling him that the fact that he even wanted me to have my dream wedding means so much to me. I can't imagine anyone being as good to me as he is and I know with all of my heart that I am making the right decision.

To all of you women out there who have already met the love of your life: don't take them for granted. Make sure they never forget you love them, because losing sight of that is such a horrible thing. Make sure they know that you never want to be with anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment